Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Hangover Part II


I really get a kick out of people saying that the sequels are never as good as the originals. In reality, most sequels are just money grabs for studios looking to make a quick buck, just look at the entire Saw franchise. The first movie had a logical end point and then the studio took a brilliant movie and raped it until they had to put it out of its misery. The same thing is happening to the Paranormal Activity franchise and sure there will be many other franchises to follow. I fully recognize that The Hangover Part II is a money grab but that doesn't detract from the fun that I had watching it. The laughs easily equaled that of the first film and this movie definitely takes more risks than the first part. Stu, Phil, and Alan are all back for more Wolfpack adventures. This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and easily sits side by side with the first one, and right beneath Old School. Who can resist a coke dealing monkey who chain smokes and Mike Tyson tattoos.

The movie is a continuation of the first movie taking place several years after the first movie. Stu has a new fiance and he is getting married in Thailand, and the Wolfpack(Stu, Phil, Alan, and Doug) start a new adventure of debauchery. Chang comes along for the ride this time as an ally and Stu's fiance's little brother also tags along for good measure. I am not going to describe a lot of the events in the movie because it would really take away from the experience of see them on screen for the first time. I will leave you with three phrases that will prepare you. Lady men, a bump of cocaine, and spider nest. That is all you get in terms of spoilers.

I would like to take the rest of this time to dissect that fact that people were unhappy with this being essentially the same as the first movie but just in another setting. Is that really such a bad thing, the first movie is one of the funniest movies of all time and the second equals it in almost every way. I really don't see anything wrong with that situation. Do people complain when they see the 9th version of Paranormal Activity? If you are a paying customer and don't like a movie I can respect your opinion but if you laughed throughout the movie or actually liked the 9th sequel of a sub par horror franchise then don't hide that you liked the movie. I fully acknowledge that the Friday the 13th series has mostly been comprised of crap films but I love them all and I will tell anyone who asks me that I love them. The same goes for the Nightmare on Elm Street series and every Jason Statham movie since he cam out with The Transporter. Don't see the movie if you don't want to see another crap sequel, no one will blame you. I know this is turning into a really long rant but that's just the way this is going to turn out. The Hangover Part II was awesome and you should see it if you liked the first movie.

I am also not defending cash in sequels as well. Michael Bay is the prime perpetrator of this and has committed some of the biggest atrocities in cinematic history starting with Transformers 2. That movie was a steaming pile of shit and everyone working on it said it as well. I have never been so hyped for a movie and then been let down so badly before. This is the movie that killed Megan Fox in my eyes, I will never watch a movie with her in it again. There was no work put into the movie to make a coherent story or any chemistry between characters. This is the movie that turns people away from sequels. Every animation studio is guilty of doing the same thing by spitting out shit sequels that don't even come close to the original.

I fully realize this review went a little off the rails and I can't really say that I am sorry. I got some things that needed to be said off of my chest and in the process got to blast some pretty shitty movies. I also hope that there is another sequel of The Hangover. If the writers change up the story and allow the characters to actually know what is going on in the next installment then I think it has a real chance of being great. See The Hangover Part II because it really is a great comedy. See it for yourself and don't listen to other people. If I went by what people told me all the time about movie I would have missed out on a lot of great experiences. The movie deserves an 8/10, as good as the original but just needed a little more originality.

No comments:

Post a Comment