Thursday, January 17, 2013

Top 10 Best/Worst Movies of 2012

 Best of 2012

1. Dredd- The forgotten movie of the summer brought everything possible to the table. Great central performances, superior effects, and a rock solid story. That is all on top of the fact that Karl Urban spends a good portion of the film shooting people in the face.
2. Looper- I love original science fiction movies and this was one of the best to come along in the last few years. This would have easily been in the top spot had Dredd not been released.
3. Zero Dark Thirty- One of the few award season dramas that I took the time to sit down and watch and I was blown away by the entire cast of the film. We all know the events that led to the creation of the movie and it did an amazing job bringing them to the big screen.
4. Goon- Most movies would kill to have the amount of heart that this movie had, and you also have to factor in that it was fucking hilarious as well. It was also nice to see that Seann William Scott can actually act as well.
5. 21 Jump Street- I was completely caught off-guard by this movie and it turned out to be one of the funniest movies of the year. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum make one hell of a duo and I can only hope they team up again.
6. Silver Linings Playbook- The performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence landed this movie in my top ten. It is also worth mentioning that Jennifer Lawrence is a complete smoke show in the movie.
7. Skyfall- This is the best of the Bond movies and there is no argument in the world that could convince me otherwise. Daniel Craig delivers a solid performance but Javier Bardem steals the show in every scene that he is in.
8. Prometheus- I chose to ignore the large holes in the plot and focus on the astounding effects and the solid performances of Noomi Repace and Michael Fassbender. One question: How in hell was Fassbender overlooked when it came to award season?
9. Chronicle- It seems like this movie came out forever ago but it delivered one of 2012’s most interesting plots and some badass fight sequences. This is one that is perfect as a standalone movie and does not need a sequel.
10. The Hunger Games- The movie that showed the greatness that is Jennifer Lawrence to the world. It delivered on every level and did the source material justice.


Worst of 2012

1. The Dark Knight Rises- The gigantic plot holes were just too much for my mind to handle. I had no idea that Batman could teleport from the Middle East to Gotham. JGL just “knows” that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Give me a fucking break.
2. Lockout- Guy Pearce looked so awkward in this movie and all I found myself thinking about was the fact that the anorexic guy from The Time Machine was beating the shit out of people.
3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter- I liked how they took almost nothing from the awesome source material and added in a whole bunch of unnecessary CG.
4. The Bourne Legacy- After looking back at the movie, it was just another useless sequel.
5. Snow White and the Huntsman- It is great to know that Kristen Stewart still has no idea how to make facial expression or convey emotion in any way.
6. The Words- The filmmakers went for a really complex and intricate plot that turned out to be bland and boring.
7. Battleship- I would really like to punch Peter Berg in the face for making me sit through this piece of shit.
8. Savages- After seeing this one for a second time, I think that I have come to the conclusion that Oliver Stone has lost everything that made him great.
9. Lawless- I really wanted this one to be great but there was just so much unrealized potential here that it was hard to ignore.
10. Paranormal Activity 4- Welcome to the new Saw franchise folks.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Battleship was fun, personally. It's basically "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH: The movie". Pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete